2013年1月29日火曜日

Singapore Perspectives

Was given the privilege to attend the Singapore Perspectives 2013 yesterday at the Shangri-La Hotel. It was a privilege as I had the opportunity to get close to the opinions of thought leaders, analysis of the think-tanks, observations of Acting Minister Lawrence Wong and Opposition MP Sylvia Lim, and listen first-hand, the reflections of PM Lee.

Coming out from it, I am heartened to note that my views are in line with that of the general public, that we approve meritocracy, but fear the widening of income gap that may hamper the fair opportunities for the next generation. We hope to see a more giving society where the government could work hand in hand with social enterprises, non-profit organisations and VWOs and not see them as a necessary evil. A more vibrant political scene and having our voices heard, yet being able to understand that it is impossible to please everybody.

One question that stood out was that Singaporeans tend to detach themselves in a survey, in the sense that all would want to see more help to the needy, but not at their expense. It was so easily recognisable that it is scary, and the leaders had no answers to that. I do not blame them, because it takes time for the society to evolve and how much is enough is subjective. But I hope to show that resources are not confined to just money, but time could sometimes be more precious. My personal understanding for the economy and society to work, the secret lies with Charity and Compassion, that is in line with the biblical principles. No amount is ever enough but when the poor offer their time to help others rather than having a sense of entitlement, we may progress.

On another note, I felt that PM was broad-minded enough to appreciate that the political landscape will change, and that his party will concede grounds, his wish is that it does so in a stable manner which I approve. I could also tell that he understands the main issues, on the need to recruit those who can connect with the ground and having a better portrayal of self. I hope his cronies understand this.

Acting Minister Lawrence Wong is knowledgeable and able to articulate his points. I agree with him that people are in general, supportive of meritocracy, but may differ in views on how it is executed. I hope the national dialogue will help in the process. For one, I am not supportive of the extent in which the AO scheme had gone, where one faces a glass ceiling and given less opportunities unless he/she is an AO.

MP Sylvia Lim, I felt, could mellow down when it is not election time. I observed that she was partisan in her portrayal through Q&A etc. It would be good if all parties could understand what the other parties stand for and how they are fundamentally different. And in the time other than elections, to show that we are all pro-Singapore, bring less distinction between this party or that party because I believe no one would mistake her as an opposition.

All in all, I found it extremely interesting. Wish I have a position at the Institute of Policy Studies, just thinking and writing papers but then again, it is not the kind of meaningful work I am thinking of. I want to make real changes.

My heart is more inclined to social enterprise these days but after reading the definition of social enterprise, the mental model I have seems to be different. I'm not so keen on training the disabled, perhaps committing a portion of the profit to social causes but more importantly, I hope to work in a place whereby decision-making of a profit-making company places the improvement of the society as the priority.

0 件のコメント: